Monday, September 24, 2012

Sept 19, 2012


Arabian Proverb:  He who has health has hope: and he who has hope has everything.

After observing classes at the secondary school for two days, I transferred to pre-school and infant care.  I enjoyed experiencing the secondary school and seeing the methods of the teachers, but I was contributing very little.  The teachers have a difficult job, especially at the lower levels.  Marigot Secondary School is the lowest level of the four high schools on the island.
The volunteers have been extremely generous providing books, games, and educational materials.  The items were sorted and bagged ready for the schools.  Conversations abounded making plans.
I really enjoyed my day with the 3-year-olds at the pre-school.   I read two books to them, taught them songs, and answered many questions about me, where I live and how I got here.  Only major problem was that we put the wrong shirts on some children.  I tied shoes, supervised hand washing, played ball with a grapefruit from the tree, and sweated buckets. 

Most of the volunteers plunged into the pool after work.  We thought it was probably the best photo op of the group!!!  We did gather later for our group picture since some of the volunteers will be leaving on the weekend. 
At the evening meeting each group gave their reports.  Again there was much emphasis on the Earth Boxes.  The group headed for a delicious dinner at Julietta’s. 
St Lucia is a beautiful country with beautiful people.  I’m glad I came.

Betty Wood

1 comment:

  1. Please tell everyone at the preschool Auntie Pillis sends her love and kisses.

    ReplyDelete