Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Third Day of Work


My excitement builds as we are off to our third day of working in the Homey Day Care.  With great anticipation, I looked forward to morning devotions at 9, led be Miss Ruth.  By 9, the little ones, 3-5 have arrived, back packs put away, they are all dressed in clean uniforms with polished and smiley faces, and hair well coiffed.


Like any sporting event, church service or concert there is a prelude as warm-up to the main event.  Cheering and rooting for the home team, setting the mood for a church service or building momentum for a star performance.  Well this classroom a spiritual group of children preparing for their day of learning, acknowledging their faith and worthiness of themselves and how special and precious they are to the world and their love of Jesus, their country and their school.  All of us could learn a lesson and begin our day this way.

Shelley my wonderful partner and I have been taking two children at a time quietly observing them and letting them color.  As with all children, especially boys, there is some spunkiness.  I remembered Super Nancy’s technique from television and employed it.  No words. I just removed him from the activity.  When they would leave time out, with no words, I put them back in time out.  Finally they understood I meant business.  No emotions, no judgment, no room for rebuttal.  Felt pleased with my progress. 

The afternoon Shelly and I began challenging the children’s ability to write and count.  It was a great step.  I’m looking forward in our time with them, to make some in roads relieving some of the burden on Miss Ruth.  It has been a blessing and an honor to work with such respectful youngsters.

- Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment