Thursday, July 12, 2012

Some Winding Down Thoughts




Anse La Raye - Fishing Village of about 6500


Our time is winding down too quickly and although I long for the comforts of home and family, it is indeed ‘bittersweet’ to have the end approaching.  I have some observations that aren’t really that important in the grand scheme of things, but none the less, to me, they bear mentioning.  So bear with me!
·         The children, so rambunctious and squirmy – yet when they have their hair braided, they sit like angels, never moving and being ever so cooperative. 
·         There are many contrasts here – yet whether rich or poor, needy or not wanting, young or old, white or Lucian – there is a spirit which comes out of every smile, good morning and how are you today.  Everyone is very gracious, good mannered fun! and happy.
·         The frogs – I always thought frogs were daytime creatures.  But here in the jungle, in which JJ’s Paradise is surrounded, they are up all night. They do not croak, they sort of ‘tweet’ – all together – hundreds of them.  I understand they are tree frogs.  They just every once and awhile, they all stop and you think, “Thank God, it’s over for the night”; and bingo, all in unison they begin once more – in unison.  They begin at about 5 PM and it keeps up all night.  I have actually have become accustomed to their shrill tweeting.  I wonder if I will be able to sleep in quiet Arizona, where I never even hear the coyotes.
·         Rainy/Hurricane Season – I guess this is the time, but except for two or three times during the middle of the night, the rain has been short lived, it has been merely five minute showers; then it clears and the sun comes out.  Once looks for the clouds to keep it cooler.
·         Finally – Everyone refers to everyone as ‘my’ – my girl, my boy, my baby.  After a few days, one begins to feel as if everything is mine.  That’s the way I feel l now – it is all mine now and it is almost time to leave.   This is where ‘bittersweet’ enters one’s emotions. 
Yes, it will be hard to say goodbye to St Lucia,
Auntie Pillis


Where Isn't There Coke?
                                                                       We Loved the Ever So Cold Piton Beer

Not Just Another Face in the Flowers - He Makes Steel Drums
       The New Addition to the Infant School                   Mike, Global Volunteer Construction Worker

1 comment:

  1. Bon jou Phyllis,
    Thank you for giving of yourself to help our people and for your kind words about St. Lucia. Wespé!
    A tourist - soon on vacation in St. Lucia - has asked us to buy a Lucian made steelpan for him.
    Who is the man in the photo with the caption... "Not Just Another Face in the Flowers - He Makes Steel Drums".
    Bless up! Paul Clifford
    zionlionfarm@gmail.com
    758 717 4663

    ReplyDelete