Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Sunday, July 1, 2012 Team Three Has Arrived


Well here it goes – The first recording of our time together in St Lucia.  When Warren asked me to serve as the ‘first volunteer’ to compile our journey in service, it made me feel quite special.  But then, after giving it further thought, I decided we are all exceptional and indeed very special people.  Special in the sense of the spirit and camaraderie I envision we will establish, cultivate & treasure.

But enough of my lecture on specialty and on to the task at hand.  How can I begin with Sunday, when Saturday was an extraordinary occasion in itself?  So now, just a few sentences about Saturday -after gathering in airport – most tired and weary – we, under Warren & Michelle, our team leaders’ and Ian’s superior driving skills (on the wrong side of the road), arrived at our new home for the next two weeks – JJ’s Paradise Resort.  Occasional periods of rain with scattered sunshine accompanied us on our one hour trip through the beautifully green and picturesque mountains, hills and valleys. 

 After finding our rooms, opening our suitcases and me wondering when my head was finally going to ‘hit the pillow’, we were treating to a delicious dinner of local cuisine – fish and/or chicken in a tasty sauce with carrots and broccoli – at JD’s restaurant on Marigot Bay.  Nothing could top Warren’s gracious welcome; however, the beautiful Caribbean sunset did provide some healthy competition.  Before dinner, we played the name game, in which everyone did exceptionally well – oh and did I forget to mention there are 25 of us?  All hail from the US - from east to west and north to south – and we appear to be knowledgeable, bright and articulate.  What more could St Lucia want!
After a good night’s sleep, Sunday morning came quickly.  I found out I needn’t set my alarm clock.  Before it could ring, a tsunami-like sound woke me.  It was frightening and sounded like the Caribbean Sea was at my door step.  Then DAH! I figured it was rain, very heavy pounding rain.  Being from AZ, I had forgotten how it sounds. 

We had a scrumptious breakfast of cereal, eggs and bacon, and then, we piled into vans and headed to Anse La Raye for mass at the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Catholic church.  All of us had opted for the church service, which lasted two hours. Compared to the mostly 59 minute mass in the US, it was a refreshing change of pace and left many of us very impressed with the people, their harmonious choir and musical accompaniment.   It might have been a long service for some, but, just think, we:
·         heard the 14 member mostly children’s’ choir complete with piano, drum, violin and clarinet and the lovely music and hymns.  We  met many of the parishioners, who made us feel so special with their musical welcoming ‘love’ song

And for me it was extra special, because I met Maria, 96 years young, whose son Thomas was one of Father Amal Raj’s assistants.  She is so very proud of him, one of her two surviving children.  She had seven children and two died while they were very young.  This grand lady wears no glasses and reads better than I and more importantly, I think she thinks I need help.  She, gently but firmly, guided me with her firm hand on my elbow through the custom of standing, sitting and kneeling at the appropriate times during mass.  Even though I know what to do when, it was comforting to have her at my side.

After mass, members of the community, teachers and Father Amal Raj spent an hour answering our questions and sharing their community information with us.  Then we journeyed back to JJ’s, lunch and our orientation program.  Warren, together with Michelle’s capable assistance shared Global Volunteers philosophy of service; guided us through establishment of our goals; and led a discussion to define the characteristics of our team.  We then broke into small groups to discuss our various work projects – yes, finally on the meat of the matter, the reason we are here.  I will work with three others in preschool and we all agreed to take the lead from our teacher hosts. Yes, we will do want they want us to do, to the best of our talents and capabilities.  We are also blessed with reports from Team 2, the previous volunteers. This will assist us immensely.  

The final happening of the day was our dinner, a choice of pasta Bolognese or mahi mahi, followed by homemade chocolate cake, and especially prepared by Charlotte for our first night’s dinner at JJ’s.  We look forward to tomorrow with anticipation and best wishes for a successful and special day for all. 
·        
            Are we lucky to be here?
·         Are we blessed with a talented group, who wants to accomplish the work set forth for us
·         Are we special?
My answer is a resounding YES.

No comments:

Post a Comment