Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Time Just Flys By When You Are Working In Paradise


JJ's Is Truly A Home Away From Home - They Make You Welcome



And Of Course, This Is One Of The Reasons We Are Here
Our time here has been very busy and the days fly by, so, I am a bit late in posting. The very first Monday we all began our assignments and we work at a number of projects.  Some volunteers are in preschool (me); others are in primary and secondary schools.  We are also involved in a construction project, an addition to school that will include a teachers’ lounge and sick room, as well as, health clinic assignments and time with roving care givers. All in all it makes for a busy day for everyone.  Since there are 25 of us, transportation to the various sites is a tedious task for the team leaders.  We age from 17 – 80 +, with most of the group being in the 40 – 55 year old range.

I knew I found my ‘spot’ at the preschool when I looked into 42 beautiful pairs of brown eyes, almost 42 gorgeous smiles and little girls with the most artistic braids, ribbons and hairdos, I have ever seen – all dressed in red and white uniforms.  My children - now it is Wednesday and they are MINE - are divided into three groups’ tiny tots’ (aged 18 mo. – 2), ‘tweenies’ (aged 2-3) and’ ‘rising fives’ (aged 4-5).  Their school is called Kids Step and it is supported by the parents and staffed by a director and two assistants, each of whom oversee a specific group.  The building consists of a tiny courtyard, three very small classrooms, one play/sleep room (for tiny tots), bathroom and small kitchen.

We begin at 8:30 and end at 2:30.  Our days have a comfortable routine. We begin with assembly in the courtyard.  This consists of prayer, songs – some religious, some fun, ‘news’ time - this is the best!  Then there is snack time, after which we have activities, appropriate to each age group, such as coloring, reading and simple lessons.  Lunch is at noon and always prepared by one of the teachers in the kitchen.  Students bring their own snacks, but lunch is provided by school.
I do just about everything they need done – I read stories; I tell stories; I show stories; I explain stories; I teach stories – it’s a lot about stories!  They love them, but, what children don’t?  It’s a great way to their hearts.

They call me ‘Auntie Pillis’; however, I think behind my back, they must call me ‘Auntie What’, because that is the word they hear me say the most – what?  I have a difficult time with their Cajun accent and most times cannot understand what is being said.  Also, many of their names are so unfamiliar and I cannot understand even their names.  Each day, I get a little better.

More on another day,
Auntie Pillis




No comments:

Post a Comment